Re: [RFC] pass #2 at getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bo

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [RFC] pass #2 at getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:49:24 +0800

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 22:03 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

> I still prefer the idea of being able to set an environment variable,
> $CONFIG_GUESS, rather than going hunting ourselves.  Then, porting to a
> new config.guess script is a matter of calling:
>
> ./configure CONFIG_GUESS=/path/to/new/version
>
> rather than hoping that a hard-coded hunt will find the new config.guess
> appropriate for the system wanting the upgrade path.

Changing the command-line to ./configure doesn't scale. Exporting an
environment variable possibly sounds like an approach some folks would
need, so I have added it in the attached patch. For Debian it would be
easiest to just install the autotools-dev package in build chroots
(config.guess and config.sub are placed in /usr/share/misc) since it
doesn't require fiddling about with configuration files for build daemon
software, which usually doesn't leak random environment variables into
the build process.

--
bye,
pabs