autoconf/tools produces to many top level files

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: autoconf/tools produces to many top level files
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:30:35 -0400

Hi,

I'm creating a new project and using autotools. I've done this before,
but for some reason this time I've noticed how many files autotools
creates. It totally pollutes the top level of my project.

    lib             <- Mine originally
    aclocal.m4
    AUTHORS
    autom4te.cache
    bootstrap
    build-aux
    ChangeLog
    config.h.in
    configure
    configure.in
    COPYING
    INSTALL
    m4
    Makefile.am
    Makefile.in
    NEWS
    README

I understand why configure, Makefile.am and bootstrap (autoreconf script)
need to exist in this directory.

Is it possible to configure the autotools so that everything else gets
put somewhere else (like in a nested directory)?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi