Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Warren Young
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:25:31 -0600

On 5/15/2013 11:20, Mike Frysinger wrote:

i understand the point you're making.  however, ~10 years of building from
source in Gentoo and doing this for every single build has shown that in
practice, it's irrelevant.

It's irrelevant *for* *Gentoo*. Not all autoconfiscated source trees are in Gentoo.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were an iceberg effect here: it could well be that ~90% of all source trees using the autotools aren't even publicly visible, much less incorporated into the major Linux distros.

There's some self-selection bias going on here, too. Software that fails to build in the Gentoo build system obviously won't get adopted into Gentoo, if no one bothers to try and fix the breakage.

For what it's worth, I'm not entirely against your position. I do a bit of packaging work for Cygwin, and we've got the same core problem over there, too, particularly with the nascent Cygwin 64 effort.