FOO_LIBS

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: FOO_LIBS
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 07:56:00 +0000

I've got a situation where I want to track specific libraries that are
needed for building specific programs.  Sometimes this is for things
like openssl and sometimes it's network stuf or thread stuff, where I
know which programs need it and which ones don't.

Originally I let configure put all of the libraries in the LIBS
variable, but I got a lot of pushback from folks with embedded systems
and similar targets where the extra libraries were taking up too much
space.

So I started putting specific libraries in different variables so I
could control when they get linked to an executable.

I do this by saving the current value of LIBS, clearing LIBS, looking
for functions, saving LIBS as FOO_LIBS, and restoring the original
verison of LIBS.

This has been a tolerable solution, but I'm now seeing cases where it
would be really helpful to tell configure that it should use LIBS and
FOO_LIBS when it does function checks.  I don't want to add FOO_LIBS to
LIBS because it will be a PITA to then remove them later.  So what I'd
like to do is find a way to give AC_CHECK_FUNC and friends a list of
variables to use as libraries instead of just LIBS.

Any idaes how I could do this?  Are there better options?
--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!