Re: detect libtool

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: detect libtool
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 19:39:02 -0700

On 11/22/2013 07:26 PM, Peter Johansson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My apologies if this is more suited for libtool@
>
> I'm writing a macro to provide some flags for users of our library. I
> now realized that I would like to assign the falgs different values
> depending on whether users are using libtool or not. What is the best
> way to detect whether libtool is used or not? Detected at autoconf or
> configure time doesn't really matter but I suppose autoconf is always
> preferable if possible.

You, as a macro writer, can write your macro to detect at autoconf time
whether the package writer of configure.ac that is using your macro is
also using libtool, by doing something like:

dnl Check for both modern and obsolete witness macros that are only
dnl defined when libtool's macros are in use
m4_if(m4_ifdef([LT_INIT], [-])m4_ifdef([AM_PROG_LIBTOOL], [-], [],
  [code when libtool not in use],
  [code when libtool is in use])