Re: recommended sequence to add libtool to an existing configure.ac

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: recommended sequence to add libtool to an existing configure.ac
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 13:14:45 -0700

On 02/06/2014 09:50 AM, Ed Mansky wrote:

> I did the following in sequence:
>
> 1) Ran autoscan against the directory tree of the package. I added the
> missing macros to the existing configure.ac script that the autoscan
> result suggested.
>
> 2) Added LT_INIT to configure.ac
>
> 3) Ran autoreconf --install

Yep, sounds fairly accurate.  You may also need to run libtoolize to set
up the framework that libtool needs.  You'll probably get better answers
from the libtool list, as this is more of a libtool usage question than
an autoconf question.

> I thought it would be better to add libtool functionality via the
> correct macros to configure.ac, rather than hack at the configure script
> directly.

This part is absolutely true - you don't want to edit the generated
configure file, because those edits would be lost on the next run of
autoreconf.