RE: Recommended way to truncate a shell variable value in autoconf

From: Dale Visser
Subject: RE: Recommended way to truncate a shell variable value in autoconf
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:22:03 -0500

Eric:

My experience with expr just prior was that it was matching too greedily on the
character class. I had just assumed I would need two steps with sed, too.
However, I checked and your suggestion works as I need it to.

I think the difference is that in expr, one specifies what part of the
expression match to keep. The sed command is specifying what to replace, so in
that case greedy matching worked in my favor.

Thank you!
Dale