Re: Testing for unknown flags in different compilers (Paul Eggert)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Testing for unknown flags in different compilers (Paul Eggert)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:26:43 -0800

On 03/06/2014 12:38 PM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
I*AM*  advocating a*basic*  warning level by default.
I interpret that on gcc to be "-Wall" or some variant.
-Wall generates too many false positives in practice. Perhaps some variant would be better, but we'd have to see the details.

I doubt whether all developers will agree about this, so it'll be useful to have an option that can be set in configure.ac. Packages whose developers like the commonly-used './configure --enable-gcc-warnings' approach could specify in configure.ac that warnings are off by default. Packages whose developers like basic warnings (whatever they are) enabled by default could do that too.