Re: Using $program_transform_name from ‘configure’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using $program_transform_name from ‘configure’
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:54:42 +0200

Eric Blake <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 04/23/2014 04:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I’m looking at an instance of the same problem: Guile comes with a
>> binary called ‘guild’ that calls out to the ‘guile’ program.
>>
>> The approach I implemented some time ago (and which, ahem, happens to be
>> broken because of this very issue) is:
>>
>>   1. ‘configure’ (erroneously) computes the transformed ‘guile’ program
>>       name and substitutes it;
>>       http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/tree/configure.ac#n1606
>>
>>   2. ‘guild.in’ uses that value.
>>      http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/tree/meta/guild.in#n5
>
> I don't see an AC_CONFIG_FILES() in configure.ac that tries to create
> guild solely at configure time.  Therefore, I assume it's being created
> at make time - but which Makefile.am is responsible for creating it?

No, there was a ‘GUILE_CONFIG_SCRIPT’ invocation in configure.ac, which
wraps ‘AC_CONFIG_FILES’.

> _That_ rule would be the place to run $program_transform_name as part of
> the creation process, rather than trying to shoehorn the conversion into
> configure.ac.

Yeah I realized we can easily do that in Makefile.am (and we already did
for another script), so I took that route:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=d80b6acf198dddc90eba40a83de36b65ddf9f0ac

Thanks,
Ludo’.