Re: [GNU Autoconf 2.69] OSX autotools: `aclocal.m4' not being output by

From: Jeff Sheen
Subject: Re: [GNU Autoconf 2.69] OSX autotools: `aclocal.m4' not being output by `autom4te'
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:55:40 +0100

N.B. despite FAT's age, and subsequent flaws, it is still the de facto standard
for portable drives.

This is because FAT is the only file system fully supported by all modern
operating systems.

I run a multi-OS development environment, with a spread of tools across OSX and
Windows. I wanted to migrate away from using FAT on my shared data partition,
but found no other viable options. The process of testing alternative file
systems was extensive, and meticulous. I spent weeks trying out NTFS and HFS
partitions, with different combinations of drivers in both operating systems.

Ultimately, it is partisan nonsense that the only file system that can be
agreed on is FAT, but that is the reality.

Jeff.