Re: Auto-Generating ChangeLog and AUTHORS for projects in a version trac

From: Arne Babenhauserheide (IMK)
Subject: Re: Auto-Generating ChangeLog and AUTHORS for projects in a version tracking system?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:23:57 +0100

Am 29.10.2014 15:04, schrieb Eric Blake:

>>> autoconf can't do this automatically, but gnulib can.
>>
>> Why *can’t* autoconf or automake do this automatically?
>
> Autoconf has never required NEWS, AUTHORS, or ChangeLog - that has
> always been automake's domain.  So asking on this list is not the best
> place.  It may be worth asking automake if they are willing to automate
> some of the steps that coreutils and other projects are currently
> getting via gnulib.  On the other hand, since gnulib already does a good
> job of it, why should any other project duplicate the efforts?

Ah, OK. I misunderstood you (it sounded to me like you meant that this
should not be done) - I’ll ask at the automake list.

Why shouldn’t the Automake folks just reuse the work done by gnulib?
Both are GNU projects. The advantage would be, that any project using
automake would get the benefit without having to take additional steps.

It would be *standard*.

Best wishes - and thanks for your answers!
Arne
--
Doktorand
Gruppe: GHG