Re: new/custom installation directory

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: new/custom installation directory
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:29:31 +0000

Gavin Smith writes:
> What is wrong with
>
> --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> With
>
> address@hidden@
>
> in Makefile.in, and
>
> AC_INIT
> AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
> AC_OUTPUT
>
> in configure.ac, running "./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> --sysconfdir=/etc" gives the following in Makefile:
>
> prefix=/usr/local
> sysconfdir=/etc
> datarootdir=${prefix}/share
> includedir=${prefix}/include
> localstatedir=${prefix}/var
> sharedstatedir=${prefix}/com
>
> which are the values you want.

Well, with autoconf-2.69 that works just fine.  I have the (possibly
incorrect) recollection that this did not work with (much) older
versions of autoconf and automake.

Now to figure out how to get our per-OS default values for sysconfdir to
be used only in the case where no --sysconfdir=... value was given (in
some way).

That might be:

  test "$sysconfdir" = '${prefix}/etc' && sysconfdir=/etc

Thanks Gavin, and sorry I was being thick, Eric.