Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 00:55:36 -0500

Paul Eggert:
>Sure.  So create a symlink to that, e.g.,
>   ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Steel Bank Common Lisp/1.2.6/sbc' /tmp/xyz
> Then configure with the equivalent of SBCL=/tmp/xyz.
> Obviously the idea needs some elaboration (e.g., if the file name is needed
> at
runtime) but it would work.  All it needs is Somebody to write and test and
document the patch.

That will not work well in many cases.  /tmp often doesn't stick around, nor is
there any standard safe system-wide place anything could write to.  How do you
handle containers where the software is preinstalled and provided on readonly
mounts and with new blank /tmp?  This approach is also nasty to package.  The
whole approach is a weird kludge.

I do grant you points for being clever, but isn't there a better way?

--- David A.Wheeler