Re: What is the best/recommended technique for referencing development l

From: Patrick Doyle
Subject: Re: What is the best/recommended technique for referencing development libraries?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:26:47 -0500

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Thomas Jahns <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/11/14 04:20, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>
>> But now I would like to compile a custom version of libzbar, and tell
>> my custom gstzbar plugin to reference that library instead of the one
>> install in /usr/lib.
>>
>> What's the best/recommended way to do this?
>

> So you want to link something in /usr/local instead of /usr/lib and use
> run-time loading. That means you want to use dynamic linking, which is
> outside the scope of autoconf itself but addressed much more reliably with
> libtool. I recommend you use that.

Wow!  That took a _long_ time to percolate through the system.  Thanks
for the answers folks.  Please keep them coming.  In the mean time, I
learned that if I just added path/to/library.la to my _LDADD
definition, and put an LT_INIT in my configure.ac file, I could test
my application and pull in the new library the way I wanted.

--wpd