non-recursive autoconf w/ recursive automake/make?

From: Jay K
Subject: non-recursive autoconf w/ recursive automake/make?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 06:17:34 +0000

I'm familiar with autoconf nested packages:
 nested configure
 recursive automake (at least somewhat)

I made some samples for myself and could scale it arbitrarily.

I'm familiar with non-recursive automake, so:
 one configure
 one Makefile

I made some samples for myself and could scale it arbitrarily.

I think it might be worth it to make it easy to construct
 non-recursive autoconf/configure along with recursive make/automake.

In particular, configure scripts seem slow.
 cd && make doesn't
 and *maybe* leads to more idiomiatic Makefile.am

I understand that automake makes Makefile.in and
 configure makes Makefile from that, so my suggestion
 is a slightly nonsense.

However maybe the recursive automake can inform the toplevel
 configure of all the various Makefile.ins?

In particular, while I'm new to using these tools and not new to software
in general, I so far find more value in automake than configure.
My code is C/C++ fairly portable -- you know, because Posix happened a while ago
and many platforms have fallen away -- but I still don't know how to write
my own Makefiles or the vagaries of install or certainly the vagaries of
dynamic linking that libtool handles for me.
(I know I didn't mention libtool, but it falls easily out of automake).

  - Jay