Re: Arguemnts to configure

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: Re: Arguemnts to configure
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 20:50:59 +0200

Hello,

>> And, more generally, is there a way to make a configure script accept
>> arguments that have a shape different from --with, --without, --enable
>> and --disalbe?
>
> No, not without going against the GNU Coding Standards, which state that
> a configure script shouldn't need any other option prefixes.  Again,
> what is the exact semantics you are hoping to add, and why are the
> existing mechanisms inappropriate for those semantics?  A strong
> justification is needed, at which point maybe we can work on amending
> the GNU Coding Standards to document your use case for everyone to be
> able to share it.

I had once this problem myself, and while the answer that "you should
tell us more because it may be interesting for everyone" is important to
answer, don't forget that you can still use environment variables with
arbitrary names and values: AC_ARG_VAR
(https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.64/html_node/Setting-Output-Variables.html,
https://autotools.io/autoconf/arguments.html)

So maybe you could use ./configure NUMBER_OF_BANANAS=42 CFLAGS="-g" ...

--

However this example may be more standard in
./configure --enable-banana-limit=42 CFLAGS="-g"

(By the way, is it correct?)

Best regards,
Vivien