Re: Autotools lint tool

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Autotools lint tool
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 12:18:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 16:25:00 +0200, Sébastien Hinderer <address@hidden> wrote:
> And I'm pretty sure autoconf itself either does or could warn about such
> things.

I just did a quick check with "autoreconf -i" in version 2.69.
Sadly it does NOT warn about either AC_INIT or AC_OUTPUT missing.
It also doesn't warn about trailing space in arguments, e.g., it allows this:
AC_INIT([project_name] , [1.0.11] , [my_email] )

So there's a long list of things that an autoconf style checker could detect.
I'd focus on things like missing [...] and trailing space in arguments;
those are easy mistakes to make.

--- David A. Wheeler