Re: Using @bindir@ etc. in C headers

From: Perry Hutchison
Subject: Re: Using @bindir@ etc. in C headers
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 11:46:11 -0700

Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that this covers that particular corner case (build
> at install time using a prefix setting that is different from configure
> time).

Can you describe a use case for this?  It seems very odd.

Normally one expects to do something along the lines of

  [as normal user] ./configure && make

  [as root] make install

so as to do as little as possible with elevated permissions.
In particular, we don't typically want to run the compiler
as root.  The pathnames built into the binaries should match
the pathnames that the binary will see when it is running
(which might differ from where root installs them, e.g. if
they are being installed into a chroot environment which does
not contain build tools).