AC_PROG_EGREP and $EGREP_TRADITIONAL and shell conditional statements

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: AC_PROG_EGREP and $EGREP_TRADITIONAL and shell conditional statements
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 12:24:57 -0400

Can someone who understands the problem described at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2022-11/msg00129.html
please construct a minimal, self-contained configure.ac that
reproduces that problem?  It is difficult for me to tell whether
anything needs to be fixed in Autoconf from this report, and I don't
have time in the foreseeable future to try to cut down APR's gigantic
configure.ac myself.

zw