Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: autoconf-2.72c

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: autoconf-2.72c
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 01:53:43 +0200

Richard Purdie wrote:
> > We run autoreconf against most things.
> > gettext 0.21.1:
>
> The latter two look like they're as I'm missing the gnulib fixes to
> largefile.m4.

autoreconf is not supported in GNU gettext; there's a script 'autogen.sh'
instead.

When I run this script on the branch where gettext 0.21.1 has been made,
I get this error:

  ./autogen.sh: generating configure in gettext-runtime...
  configure:8378: error: possibly undefined macro:
_AC_SYS_LARGEFILE_TEST_INCLUDES
        See the Autoconf documentation.

So, you are right that largefile.m4 from Gnulib is too old. I have now
updated the 'largefile' and 'year2038' modules on the stable-* branches
of Gnulib. This ensures compatibility with autoconf-2.72c.

Note: To get the fix, it's not enough to run 'autoreconf'. The upstream
maintainer needs to pull from gnulib, then run 'bootstrap' or
autopull.sh+autogen.sh.

Bruno