Re: parallelization of ./configure compiler test processes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: parallelization of ./configure compiler test processes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:06:22 -0700

On 2023-03-29 13:12, Danny McClanahan wrote:
     - I've been perusing clones of the autoconf and automake codebases and
I've been unable to locate the logic that actually executes each test in
sequence.

That's because sequencing is implicit. Autoconf generates 'configure', which is a shell script, and shell commands are executed in sequence.

Since a test can depend on a previous test's results, parallelizing that shell script would be tricky: it'd mean Autoconf would need to know which tests depend on which other tests, and this information is only partly specified now.

Rather than try to re-engineer Autoconf, have you tried executing the 'configure' scripts with PaSH? See <https://binpa.sh/>.