[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[PATCH 0/10] Explicit warning levels must always take precedence over th
stefano . lattarini
[PATCH 0/10] Explicit warning levels must always take precedence over those implied by the strictness
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:27:36 +0100
This patch series originated from PR/547 a.k.a. bug#7669:
The aim of this patch series is to ensure that explicit
enabling/disabling of automake warning categories through
the `-W...' options always takes precedence over the
implicit warning level implied by an Automake strictness
(foreign, gnu, gnits), regardless of the order in which
such strictness and warning flags appears.
For example, even if the `foreign' strictness disables the
warnings in the `portability' category, all the following
- form command line: automake -Wportability --foreign
- in configure.ac: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wportability foreign])
- in Makefile.am: AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = -Wportability foreign
should end up enabling the `portability' warnings.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The above doesn't mean that `-W...' options
should always win over warning levels implied by strictness.
For example, if configure.ac contains:
and Makefile.am contains:
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
then portability warnings will end up being disabled in Makefile.am.
This is deliberate, and seems the saner policy ATM.
NOTE: Just to be absolutely clear: this patch series do not change
nor try to change the current "weird" option precedence scheme of
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS > AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE > command line
Before trying to do so, we should understand whether there are/were good
reasons behind this precedence scheme, and if yes, what these reasons
are, and whether they are still relevant today. But that's for another
Patches will follow shortly.
- [PATCH 0/10] Explicit warning levels must always take precedence over those implied by the strictness,
stefano . lattarini <=
- [PATCH 02/10] New test on silent-rules mode and portability warnings., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 03/10] Warnings win over strictness on command line., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 01/10] Add new tests on strictness and warnings precedence and overriding., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 05/10] Remove global/local distinction for automake options., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 04/10] Refactoring: new $automake_remake_options global variable., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 06/10] Cleanup in module Automake::Options., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 07/10] Warnings win over strictness in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23
- [PATCH 08/10] Add more tests about AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS., stefano . lattarini, 2010/12/23