Re: PATCH: patsubst support

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: PATCH: patsubst support
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:41:13 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

Trying to catch up with the mailing lists :-)

I'm surprised that this patch has not been applied since October. I
believe it's very valuable. I even considered doing it myself.

> b) default static expansion to off, avoids surprising anyone depending
>    on dynamic expansion by make, retains the same non-portable
>    default behavour as current CVS.
>
> # Makefile.in fragment
> FOO = foo bar
> BAR = ${FOO:%=%.c}

This would be wrong. This is only acceptable in the developer's
environment, i.e. not in the makefiles created by "make dist". But I see
no serious reason to generate different makefiles in this case.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin