Re: file D left after automake configure test

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: file D left after automake configure test
Date: 03 Feb 2001 20:47:47 -0700

Bob> After running configure I notice that an empty file "D" is left
Bob> around as trash.  I investigated and and found the following.

Thanks for the investigation and clear write-up!  This helped me fix
the bug (I think) quickly.  Well, quickly by my schedule -- I know
you've been waiting a month now.  Sorry about that.

Bob> This leaves an empty file called "D" in the current directory.  I
Bob> don't know why it is testing for depmode=gcc with the native ANSI
Bob> C compiler.

We always try all the different modes.  The mode names really are just
descriptive names for a particular style of dependency tracking.  They
aren't meant to be limited to one compiler or another.  For instance I
wish every vendor would adopt the `gcc3' style.

Bob> BTW...  I like the new dependency code!  I can now swap between
Bob> HP-UX ANSI C and Linux GCC interchangeably.

Cool.

If you're using the cvs automake please give it a shot.  I checked in
the patch to fix your problem, but I have no easy way of trying it :-(

Tom