Re: problem with make install and java

From: Rusty Ballinger
Subject: Re: problem with make install and java
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:28:42 -0800

>    I'm using automake with mix C++ and Java code.  Everything is fine,
> even the creating of JNI header files, except for one thing.   On
> "make install", the .class files get copied into the installation
> directory.   Since, I'm creating a .jar file, which gets installed in
> $prefix/share, I don't want the .class files installed.
>
>    How do I turn this off?

I do this with noinst_JAVA.  A while ago I sent a patch to fix a problem
or two with the way noinst_JAVA is handled, but I don't know whether it
went in (I still haven't gotten around to filling out the paperwork).

Now that you can go foo_SOURCES = dir1/foo.c dir2/bar.c, it seems like
it would be easy to have support for

  hippo_jar_SOURCES = \
    com/foo/bar/Blather.java \
    com/foo/baz/Blerf.java \
    com/foo/snoggins.properties \
    etc.

That would be ideal.  (Maybe you can already do this?)

If you're using automake 1.4, I can send you some horrendous AC_OUTPUT
commands which fiddle with noinst_JAVA in the generated Makefiles.

--Rusty