Re: Automake: use of modified Perl modules & GPL

From: Jarkko Hietaniemi
Subject: Re: Automake: use of modified Perl modules & GPL
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:09:05 -0500

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:58:11PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     We would like to have some advice from you about a license issue.  In
>     short, we would like to use a modified version of a Perl core module,
>     which means we need it to be GPL.
>
> I don't understand the scenario clearly, so I don't know the answer.
>
> Who initially wrote this module?  What license was the original
> version released with?

That I can answer: Dean Roehrich, then called Class::Template, license
Perl 5's dual Artistic/GPL (as it was contributed directly to Perl's
core as a standard module).  Later renamed to Class::Struct and
modified by Jim Miner, then Damian Conway (the damian of the CC list),
then Casey West (formerly Casey Tweten), no license changes by any of
them.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen