Re: 03-lang-compile-am.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 03-lang-compile-am.patch
Date: 12 May 2001 19:03:54 -0600

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> For uniformity, I must confess I'd like to see depend2.am
Akim> renamed ext-compile.am.

It is fine with me.

Akim> Tom, I realize I don't understand how Java is handled.  There
Akim> are two Javas?  On via gcj which is handled thanks to its
Akim> extension, and another one, via primaries, handled by java.am,
Akim> right?  I was about to move the JAVAC etc. things from java.am
Akim> to lang-compile.am, but it would be wrong, wouldn't it?

Yes, there are two Javas.

Compiled Java using gcj works via the extension mechanism.  It isn't
really much different from something like C++.  BTW we should teach
automake how to do dependency tracking with gcj.  I'll send a PR.

The other kind of java is compiling to bytecode.  This works in a
weird way and probably should not be merged with lang-compile.am.

Eventually:

* We should support a `JARS' primary which will automatically build a
  jar file from java code.  (I sent a PR for this.)

* We should implement some easy way to make it so free software
  projects can determine at configure time whether to support
  bytecode, precompiled code, or both.  This one probably requires
  actual thinking.

Akim>   * lang-compile.am: New file, loaded once per language.
Akim>   * depend2.am: Move definitions loaded once per language in the
Akim>   aforementioned file.
Akim>   * automake.in (&handle_languages): Load it.
Akim>   (&lang_ppf77_finish, &lang_ratfor_finish): Remove as it's now
Akim>   handled by lang-compile.am.

Ok.

Tom