Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean

From: Reinhard Müller
Subject: Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 23:27:51 +0200

"Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:
> That's interesting.  I have always tried to have maintainer-clean revert the
> source tree to the state it was in when freshly checked out of CVS.  Giving
> this some thought, it seems to be something that can't easily be fully
> automated by automake since people have varying check-in policies.

If I don't misread the GNU coding standards, make maintainer-clean
should leave the source tree in a state where ./configure && make &&
make install still works. maintainer-clean should just remove files that
are built by the make process that need special tools (like bison, flex,
orbit-idl etc.), which are preserved with make distclean because they
are included in the distribution.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Müller