Re: Recursive make harmful

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Recursive make harmful
Date: 20 Jun 2001 18:37:23 -0600

>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

Richard> With separate Makefile.am's in each directory,
Richard> automake should be able to figure the bar/foo out from
Richard> the directory paths.  The user shouldn't have to worry
Richard> about what the path to the top-level is.

>> Is this really possible?  Makefile.am files may contains rules
>> which need to be patched if you move them at another level.

Alexandre> If you're talking about the commands, I believe it's
Alexandre> relatively easy to cope with this problem: just generate,
Alexandre> in the top-level Makefile, a rule that runs the
Alexandre> corresponding rule in the sub-make.

If that's the only approach then it might not be worth implementing.
For instance, with this approach a single `all-local' rule anywhere
requires a full recursion.  But that eliminates the benefit of
recursion avoidance.

It is probably better to force some discipline on the user.  But then
the question is whether this is too much work for the user for the
feature to be worthwhile.

Tom