Re: What version of autoconf is required for automake-1.4f?

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: What version of autoconf is required for automake-1.4f?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:51:24 +0100

  http://sources.redhat.com/autobook

> After installing automake-2.14f in /usr/local I am getting an error
> messages when running aclocal:
>
> aclocal: configure.in: 10: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
>
> All I did when I installed automake-2.14f was the usual
>
> ./configure
> make
> su
> make install
>
> Are there some configuration settings I should have set for configure?
> I didn't see any in the README INSTALL or in ./configure --help

All of the packages intalled by your distro that support aclocal (gettext,
gtk, libtool etc) will have put their macros in /usr/share/aclocal, but you
have installed automake to /usr/local so it is looking in
/usr/local/share/aclocal.

If you don't mind upsetting your package manager, the following will work (as
root):

        $ cp -f /usr/local/share/aclocal/* /usr/share/aclocal
        $ rmdir /usr/local/share/aclocal
        $ ln -s /usr/share/aclocal /usr/local/share/aclocal

More properly, use your package manager to uninstall the distributed automake
package, and reinstall your version, but this time configured with
--prefix=/usr (preferably after making a package from it).

Cheers,
        Gary.

--
  ())_.  Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)