Re: [patch]: automatically buiding rpm (and others) with automake

From: Christophe Tronche
Subject: Re: [patch]: automatically buiding rpm (and others) with automake
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:11:38 +0100

address@hidden:

> I think this needs work. Some packages (such as IIRC gcc) and cygwin
> cannot buiild in the source directory. You must build via VPATH.
>
> Secondly, --prefix=<your build prefix> is insufficient for most
> package-platform combinations. I don't think I've ever seen a deb or rpm
> that wasn't built with specific var, etc and bin directories.

Agreed.

[...]

> One other point - it might be easier, and more reliable, to get the list
> of files via a 'find' command, after doing make install, rather than
> during the make process. This would also get man files automagically.

Yes, I had a look to the automake mailing list before starting to
work, and I saw that the "find" method had been proposed (for example,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-01/msg00189.html). My
problem was that it doesn't flag files as "documentation files" or
not (something I get through `make list-install-doc'). So, once I had
`make list-install-doc', `make list-install' wasn't very far. However,
one may find this not a very pragmatic argument...

--
Christophe Tronche      address@hidden
                        http://tronche.com/