Re: [Evolution-hackers] ylwrap dependency

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] ylwrap dependency
Date: 05 Dec 2001 19:35:48 +0000

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 13:18, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> hello,
>
> question: now that 1.0 was officially out, i wanted to point you guys to
> an problem that i have. i am able to solve this problem within 2 seconds
> but it would be needfull to fix this anyways.
>
> i use automake1.5, autoconf2.50. gettext and libtool are out of subject
> i think. when doing:
>
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --with-db3=/tmp/db3
>
> the configure script is generated correctly and the make process starts.
> db3 will be found too without problems. after some seconds the directory
> libcal will be joined and in one subdir within it i get the error:
>
> ../../ylwrap not found
>
> i then need to copy the ylwrap link which is in the topdir of evolution
> to the libcal directory and re-run make again. everything works properly
> then. it would be nice to avoid this step and let the configure or make-
> process do this copy or link automatically.

Hmm: I get the same behaviour: automake 1.5, autoconf 2.52.

This looks to be a bug in automake v1.5.  The problem is probably that
it's not calculating the path to the top srcdir correctly, because there
are nested projects.

To expand a little: we have a project called evolution, with a
subproject in evolution/libical, with its own configure.in.  Within the
libical project, ylwrap is needed.  automake -a puts a ylwrap in the
evolution directory, but not in the evolution/libical directory.
However, the path to ylwrap within libical is the path to the
evolution/libical directory.

Either the path should be to the top level directory, or ylwrap should
be installed in the subproject's top level directory.

I've not got time currently to find a minimal testcase: if noone else
does it within a few days I'll probably get round to it though...
I've not seen this problem mentioned before, so it's probably still a
problem with the latest CVS automake.

--
Richard