Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case
Date: 02 Feb 2002 09:49:57 +0100

Am Sam, 2002-02-02 um 08.34 schrieb Tom Tromey:

> Tom> Automake used PACKAGE with a specific meaning for years.  It is
> Tom> unfortunate that Autoconf has chosen to use the same name with a
> Tom> different meaning.  But I don't wish to belabor this point.
>
> Of course, it would be idiotic for me to belabor this point, since it
> is factually incorrect.  Autoconf doesn't define PACKAGE at all.
Wow.

Thanks for pointing this out - I had missed that fact and it's good to
know that others weren't aware about this, too.

You are right, it's automake's init.m4 which sets it from
AC_PACKAGE_TARNAME,
..
[_AM_SET_OPTIONS([$1])dnl
 AC_SUBST([PACKAGE], [AC_PACKAGE_TARNAME])dnl
 AC_SUBST([VERSION], [AC_PACKAGE_VERSION])])dnl
..

> Tom> If we elect not to do this then we must add a warning to the manual
> Tom> saying that the obvious change is incorrect.
>
> I think I'll do this.  Plus I'll have the PACKAGE define use
> PACKAGE_TARNAME.
AFAIS, it already does so.

=> Autoconf's lowercasing of AC_PACKAGE_TARNAME from the first argument
of AC_INIT and having been documented as PACKAGE in autoconf's manual is
the actual origin of the problem and has broken backward compatibility
of automake's PACKAGE

However, there is another issue lurking:

The 3rd parameter of AC_INIT_AUTOMAKE (Suppress AC_DEFINE-ing of PACKAGE
and VERSION)