Re: How to create special config directories?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: How to create special config directories?
Date: 11 Feb 2002 14:49:59 -0700

>>>>> "Sandip" ==   <address@hidden> writes:

Sandip> In a package that I want to use automake with, the config files are
Sandip> to be stored in /etc/package directory.
Sandip> How do I ask automake to put my files in that directory?

Sandip> This is not working:
Sandip> -----------------------------------------
Sandip> packageconfdir=/etc/package
Sandip> packageconf_DATA=package.conf.sample
Sandip> EXTRA_DIST=package.conf.sample
Sandip> -----------------------------------------

Sandip> make distcheck is failing. It is trying to actually install it in
Sandip> /etc/packagewhich of course fails as I dont have root permissions.

Yes, it fails -- but it is also doing exactly what you've asked it to
do.

In general specifying an absolute path like this will lead to
problems.  The auto* approach is to use sysconfdir, and let the user
specify this directory at configure time.  People who want the files
in /etc (for instance, system integrators like Red Hat or Debian) will
set this up when building the packages.  Other users will have
flexibility.

Tom