how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile

From: Thomas Vander Stichele
Subject: how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:40:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I work on GStreamer and it's build infrastructure.

GStreamer requires automake 1.5 because we use per-target flags.

Now that Red Hat 7.3 has an automake-1.5 binary and a regular automake
binary, I provided options to autogen.sh to specify a different automake
binary.  It does this perfectly, uses it for autogenning, and also
automatically picks up aclocal-1.5

Now, what happens is that when you touch a Makefile.am in a directory, it
will regenerate the Makefile because of the

AUTOMAKE = (path)/missing --run automake

Only of course it then uses automake 1.4

I would like to know what is the best way to override this so that it also
uses automake-1.5.

Any suggestions ?

It was sex in a different life
Destroys my days and haunts my nights