Re: perl path patch

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: perl path patch
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:43:03 -0700

Russ Allbery wrote:
Eric Siegerman <address@hidden> writes:

-1.  I'd *much* rather that automake use the Perl it was configured with
(and subsequently regression-tested with) than whatever random Perl some
user happens to have stuck first in their path.

I agree.  Users sometimes have some other version of Perl first in their
path for testing purposes, but already built software should continue to
use the version of Perl that the software was built with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this all a bit moot?
There is no reliable way to use
the path to perl to select a version of perl.
Let's say you build using /usr/bin/perl.
The user might have a different version of Perl installed there.

Best thing to do is use the standard path, /usr/bin/perl,
and use a lowest-common-denomenator dialect of Perl,
so it works with perl4 and up (or possibly perl5, but
that might annoy some users).