[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Autoconf 2.54 is released
Autoconf 2.54 is released
13 Sep 2002 14:01:14 +0200
Gnus/5.0808 (Gnus v5.8.8) XEmacs/21.4 (Honest Recruiter)
The Autoconf Team -- Akim, Alexandre, Jim, Paul, and Tom -- is
extremely happy to announce the release of Autoconf 2.54!
- Why should I upgrade from 2.53?
Several bug fixes, improved portability, no known incompatibility with
2.53, forthcoming Automake 1.7 requires 2.54.
Running `autoreconf -fv' should be enough.
- Why should I upgrade from 2.13?
This version is no longer maintained. It does not address recent
architectures, recent compilers etc. We know that upgrading from 2.13
to 2.5x is not an easy task, especially because the Autoconf 2.13 was
extremely tolerant to incorrect macro invocations, but waiting longer
endangers the portability of your package and only delays the
conversation to newer Autoconf versions. Worse: some maintainers now
spend a significant amount of time fixing bugs in 2.13 or backporting
macros from 2.53.
- Where can I find it?
Tarballs and xdelta-style diffs can be downloaded from the usual
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.54.tar.gz (1020 KB)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.54.tar.bz2 (769 KB)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.53c-2.54.xdelta (32 KB)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.53-2.54.xdelta (94 KB)
Here are the MD5 and SHA1 signatures:
- What's NEWS, doc?
- autoreconf no longer changes the version of the gettext/po/intl
support files. It now adds the files the correspond to the
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declared in configure.ac.
Warning: It now relies on the 'autopoint' program, which is part
of GNU gettext 0.11.4 and newer.
Please note that you need to have a GNU gettext version that
corresponds at least to the AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declared
in configure.ac. You can upgrade to newer GNU gettext versions,
though, without needing to change configure.ac.
- The -I DIR or --include=DIR option now appends DIR to the include path
instead of prepending; this is for consistency with other GNU tools.
The new -B DIR or --prepend-include=DIR option has the old behavior.
Now handles all the gory details about LIBOBJS and LTLIBOBJS.
Please, remove lines such as
# This is necessary so that .o files in LIBOBJS are also
# built via the ANSI2KNR-filtering rules.
LIBOBJS=`echo $LIBOBJS|sed 's/\.o /\$U.o /g;s/\.o$/\$U.o/'`
and read the `AC_LIBOBJ vs LIBOBJS' section. Do not define U in
your Makefiles either.
- AC_CONFIG_LINKS now makes copies if it can't make links.
- AC_FUNC_FNMATCH now tests only for POSIX compatibility, reverting to
Autoconf 2.13 behavior. The new macro AC_FUNC_FNMATCH_GNU also
tests for GNU extensions to fnmatch, and replaces fnmatch if needed.
- AC_FUNC_SETVBUF_REVERSED no longer fails when cross-compiling.
- AC_PROG_CC_STDC is integrated into AC_PROG_CC.
- AC_PROG_F77 default search no longer includes cf77 and cfg77.
- New macros
AC_C_BACKSLASH_A, AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR, AC_GNU_SOURCE,
AC_PROG_EGREP, AC_PROG_FGREP, AC_REPLACE_FNMATCH,
AC_FUNC_FNMATCH_GNU, AC_FUNC_REALLOC, AC_TYPE_MBSTATE_T.
looks for getloadavg.c in the CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR.
Now defines HAVE_MALLOC to 0 if `malloc' does not work, and asks
for an AC_LIBOBJ replacement.
** Bug fixes
- Spurious complaints from `m4_bmatch' about invalid regular
expressions are suppressed.
- Empty top_builddirs are properly handled.
- AC_CHECK_MEMBER works correctly when the member is an aggregate.
Now colon in the optional path arguments are properly handled.
** Improved portability
- Both Autoconf the package, and the scripts it produces, should run
more reliably with Zsh. Bear in mind it is the default Bourne shell
- Autoconf and the scripts it produces no longer assume the existence of
the obsolescent commands egrep and fgrep.
- Limitations of Make
More of them.
The GNATS base has moved to
Now contains the list of ouput variables and files (AC_SUBST,
- Autoconf 2.54 is released,
Akim Demaille <=