Re: a question about automake

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: a question about automake
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:45:14 +0100

>>> "huangwei" == huangwei  <address@hidden> writes:

 huangwei> Dear all,
 huangwei> I am a Newbie about automake.

 huangwei> I am confused in the makefile.in,because in it there
 huangwei> are many variables like as follows:

 huangwei> ...
 huangwei> LIBS = @LIBS@
 huangwei> ...

 huangwei> When I type configure ,using LIBS=/home/yiyid/usr/lib
 huangwei> (non-standard lib directory),but int the makefile
 huangwei> generated automatically ,the value of LIBS will be
 huangwei> the system default path + the path which I have set.

 huangwei> Could tell me how to solve it then?

Sorry I don't understand this part of your mail.  Could you *show*
what you did, what you got, and explain what you would have expected?

 huangwei> And another question, how to let the same variable in
 huangwei> makefile.in of subdirectors be set at the same time?

Any variable defined with `AC_SUBST' in your `configure.ac' will
be defined in all your `Makefile's.

If you also want to defines rules or if you don't want to define
variables in *all* `Makefile's, you can factor these definitions
in a `Makefile' fragment that you will `include' in all the
relevant `Makefile.am's.  See the `Include' section of the
manual for the syntax.

 huangwei> I have set the top directory makefile, but it seem
 huangwei> that the makefiles in the subdirectory can't be set.

Indeed.  There is no "variable inheritance" between `Makefile's.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz