Re: making script executable?

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: making script executable?
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:52:50 -0500

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:20:02PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> I have a shell script which I want to run as part of a testsuite.  However
> when I do a 'make distcheck' this script (which does not get configured or
> anything at build time) ends up with execute permissions turned off.
> Since I want to be able to properly deal with a read only source tree,
> what should I do?

If *all* your tests are shell scripts, you can set TESTS_ENVIRONMENT
to "/bin/sh".

This is even documented in the automake manual!  ;->

    The variable `TESTS_ENVIRONMENT' can be used to set environment
    variables for the test run; the environment variable `srcdir' is
    set in the rule.  If all your test programs are scripts, you can
    also set `TESTS_ENVIRONMENT' to an invocation of the shell (e.g.
    `$(SHELL) -x'); this can be useful for debugging the tests.

-S