Re: Have I got an installation problem?????

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Have I got an installation problem?????
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:52:47 -0400

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 06:40:39AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> You seem to have configured automake using a "per-package-prefix"
> (--prefix=/usr/local/stow/automake-1.7).
>
> To get this functional you either have to
> * add a */aclocal/dirlist file containing the path of your system's
> global, shared */aclocal directory
> * symlink */aclocal to your global, shared */aclocal (Normally
> /usr/share/aclocal)

Why?  If automake is configured with that prefix (but not with of
the other location-setting options), aclocal should just search:
    /usr/local/stow/automake-1.7/share/aclocal-1.7
    /usr/local/stow/automake-1.7/share/aclocal
without further assistance, shouldn't it?  If it doesn't, that's
a bug.  (I just sent in a patch for such a bug in autoconf
itself, as it happens :-)

I've installed automake with a similar prefix, and it works
for me.

That said, the prefix in question implies that Dr.  Kirkby (or
his sysadmin) is using GNU Stow
(http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html).  Stow's a great
tool -- I couldn't live without it -- but if you're not careful,
it's possible to get things into a rather confused state --
indeed, into the state Dr. K.'s machine appears to be in now.
Unfortunately, the easiest way for that to happen is if you
follow the instructions in the Stow manual :-(

See this posting:
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-cvs/2002-10/msg00385.html
In particular, the first point in the "hints" list discusses how
Stow, when used according to the instructions, can cause just the
symptoms that Dr. K has described -- aclocal v. 1.7 either
reading the /usr/share files from some other Automake version, or
failing to find the files at all.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee