Re: Running a plain ./config.status at top level

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: Running a plain ./config.status at top level
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 17:20:10 -0500

Hi,

Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>
>  Eric> But then, why not do the whole thing the "make" way, using "::"
>  Eric> rules, rather than adding yet more embedded shell-scripting?
>
> This sounds really attractive, but I'm more concerned because
> ::-rules are not POSIX.  Does someone know a Make implementation
> that doesn't support them?  I've made a note to add a check for
> ::-rules to the Automake test suite, so we get reports if they
> don't work somewhere.

The Unix V7 make manual mentions double-colon rules.  Here's an
excerpt for the troff source (manually formatted):

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/vol2/make

  A dependency line may have either a single or a double colon.
  A target name may appear on more than one dependency line, but all
  of those lines must be of the same (single or double colon) type.

  * For the usual single-colon case, at most one of these dependency
    lines may have a command sequence associated with it.  If the
    target is out of date with any of the dependents on any of the
    lines, and a command sequence is specified (even a null one
    following a semicolon or tab), it is executed; otherwise a default
    creation rule may be invoked.

  * In the double-colon case, a command sequence may be associated
    with each dependency line; if the target is out of date with any
    of the files on a particular line, the associated commands are
    executed.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden