GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}

From: psmith
Subject: GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:50:55 -0400

Hi Ben;

I've been trying to build GNU make packages.  Like some of the other GNU
toolkits, my "make dist" process involves a wget of the very latest
config.guess and config.sub files from the ftp.gnu.org server.

Unfortunately right now this doesn't work: when the ftp.gnu.org server
was cracked they pulled all the source off of it until it could be
verified to be correct.  Most of the content has been replaced by
now, but these two files (from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config/) are still not
there, so my "make dist" operations are failing :(.  I can work around
this by installing older versions by hand but I'd like to see the "real
stuff" available again.

I checked with the GNU folks and they would like you to provide them
with known-good (say, from CVS) copies of the proper versions of these
files, but haven't been able to get in touch with you.

Do you know anything about this?

Or, does anyone on the autoconf list know how we'd go about getting the
proper versions loaded onto ftp.gnu.org again?

Thanks!!