Re: Aborting automake?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Aborting automake?
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 01:53:44 +0100

>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

 Harlan> I have a situation where I want every Makefile.am to
 Harlan> 'include' one of several files.

 Harlan> If none of these files are 'include'd I want the
 Harlan> automake run to abort.

 Harlan> I know how to cause the abort at runtime, but I'd
 Harlan> rather catch this problem while automake is running.

 Harlan> Is there a way to do this?

I can't think of any comfortable way.

Here is an awkward idea, just for your amusement.

If you
  AC_SUBST([AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS])
from configure.ac, then
  AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = @AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS@
will be the default value of AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in all Makefiles.

Automake will then complain that @AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS@ is not a
supported option, and abort...  unless you override
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in each Makefile.  You could arrange to define
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in all your include fragments.

One annoying problem is that the diagnostic you get when a
Makefile do not include any makefile fragment will refer to the
AC_SUBST definition in configure.ac, not to the current
Makefile.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz