RFE: Restricting a package to a particular automake version

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: RFE: Restricting a package to a particular automake version
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:02:17 +0100

Hi,

With the release of automake-1.8 ahead, a request for enhancement:

automake-1.8 probably will be incompatible to automake-1.7

Up to now I have encountered 2 incompatiblities:
* The generating info files in $srcdir issue.
* aclocal complaining about underquoting in custom macros.

Therefore the "usual" request that comes up with each major version
change of automake:

Can we have a means to restrict a package to a particular version of
automake or to enforce using a particular version automake?

I don't know how to implement it, but something similar to

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([automake < 1.8])
or
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([automake = 1.7])

come to my mind.