Re: config.guess and freedom (was: 1.8 and mkdir_p)

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: config.guess and freedom (was: 1.8 and mkdir_p)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:16:35 +0000

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:53:58AM +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> | Sorry for having to say this, but IMO, configure scripts relying on
> | config.guess'ed values are "badly designed and fundamentally flawed".
>
> It's a pity you think that.  I always found libtool to be rather useful.

Useful yes, but fundamentally flawed in implementation (in this and a
few other respects). This particular one has been the cause of many
libtool bugs and accidental misfeatures before now. Libtool is firmly
in the "Nice idea, pity it doesn't suck less, use it anyway because
it's all we've got" box.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |