[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: release schedule for 1.9? (Was: Re: automake -vs- huge projects (1st
Re: release schedule for 1.9? (Was: Re: automake -vs- huge projects (1st patch))
22 Jan 2004 16:54:33 -0700
Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.3.50
>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:
adl> Also, since we have switched to API-numbering, bumping that
adl> version number has a cost. For instance Debian distributes
adl> automake1.4, automake1.6, automake1.7, and automake1.8. If we
adl> add another API, it'd better be worth it.
Yeah. It turns out that Red Hat still ships 1.5 because some packages
still depend on it. Sigh. Obviously this doesn't scale -- at some
point it has to be so painless to upgrade that someone like Debian or
Red Hat can simply ditch 1.x and convert everything to 1.x+1 all at
adl> Maybe we could release an "official snapshot" of HEAD? This may
adl> also help to better test these uncertain subdir-suffix-rules.
adl> Would that be enough?
It might. Unfortunately I don't think we can unilaterally make a
decision like this. We'll have to involve the other gcc maintainers.
I think the ideal for gcc is to have the entire tree requiring a
single released version of automake. But, we'll never know if we can
do it until we try :-)