Re: pathnames containing spaces

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: pathnames containing spaces
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:27:13 -0800

James Amundson <address@hidden> writes:

> As far as I can tell, it is impossible to get automake to work with
> pathnames containing spaces. The canonical example is
>       ./configure --prefix="/c/Program Files"
>       make install
> which will cause make to choke because install will be called with
> unquoted pathnames. I don't know if there are other examples -- I have
> never made it past this one.

make uses a space as a separator, and getting it to accept spaces in file
names is extremely difficult or impossible depending on the version of
make that you're using.

Automake is, for good or ill, built on top of make, and therefore suffers
from its shortcomings.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>