Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:33:18 -0800

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> How many people would be annoyed by this?

Not me :-)

> Is there any reason why this would be a very bad idea?

It is inconsistent?  The auto* tools (viz. autoconf) still
assumes a shell that has no functions.  This makes the config
script incredibly larger and slower than necessary.  That
annoys me greatly, far beyond this wart.  Lobby for that change
first!!

Short answer: this is a good idea.  :-)