Re: [Fwd: Can nobase_pkgdata_DATA take directories? Does not seam so.]

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Can nobase_pkgdata_DATA take directories? Does not seam so.]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:19:06 +0100

On dinsdag, maa 9, 2004, at 23:04 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Wildcards are for lazy programmers who are willing to allow wrong
files to be built or distributed by accident.

I don't agree when it comes to a bunch of files (>100) that get generated automatically by a tool (such as documentation files by doxygen). You don't want to update such a list manually each time the list changes. I'm not saying a simple wildcard system would be the solution, but some automation would definitely be in order.

The existing Automake -hook targets provide package authors with
considerable control over what gets distributed, installed, and
uninstalled.  Since they can execute arbitrary shell code, wildcards
can be supported for any target which supports -hook.

Using run-time Makefile includes is not portable.

I hope you are referring to using 'include' within a Makefile and not the automake 'include' directive that I use within my Makefile.am (BTW, I'm aware that changing my include file will require a rerun of automake). The automake 'include' directive /is/ portable, right?

Regards,
Sander