Re: Silent compilation

From: Paul F. Kunz
Subject: Re: Silent compilation
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:10:42 -0700

> Of course I would like to have an _option_ to view the full command
> line when porting my library to a new operating environment, but
> when I'm working on the C sources, it is much easier to find
> compiler warnings if they don't hide among lots of long (more than
> 500 characters for some strange libraries on strange systems)
> compiler command lines.

   Try compiling under emacs.  Do "ESC-x", then type compile in a
buffer that has a file in the same directory as your Makefile.  After
compilation, you can find the warnings and errors with "Ctrl-x `".
This not only shows you the warning, but opens the file at the line of
the warning or error.  Even before doing the latter, the warnings and
errors appear in red while the compiler command lines are in black.

   Emacs the ideal IDE :-).